Monday, May 27, 2013

First Missouri Capitol to Current Capitol

First stop Lewis and Clark made was a few miles up the Mo River at the town of St. Charles. It was a rough trader town and neither had much good to say other than the people were friendly. These were guys who brought their dress uniforms along to impress the natives so I don't know what they were expecting at a frontier town other than friendly.

I'm guessing it was also a busy town and its still busy. Many buildings have been restored and turned into shoppes. I have nothing against towns restoring a former age and catering to people who want to visit them. Sometimes I've noticed the restorations are just a bit too restored, too tidy, too spiffed up. Sometimes I couldn't imagine a particular building looking so good when it was brand new. Oh well. Once statehood happened, Missouri had problems picking a capital (so did Minnesota). To start, the capital was in St. Charles, in the rented second floor of the general store. I like that. Lots of the founding fathers meetings were in private rooms at a tavern so a general store seems like a good place.


The Katy Trail also starts here; its the longest rail-to-trail in the country. Said trail follows the Missouri River the literature said. I looked at maps, googled it and still didn't really understand that I would only see the river as an occasional glimpse. About 2/3s of it is along the river and then the tracks, angled south. Of the part along the river I've only ridden on about 10 miles however I have stopped at most access points and read the comments about trail portions served by that access. And it all looks about the same. Sigh, naive again. The river has changed its path so many times a railroad line couldn't really be next to  it.

Guess I forgot this is the river that's a mile wide and a foot deep. Its not anymore, not really. The river is more narrow and carries less water than it did though it looks big to me. I've seen wide flat floodplains between limestone bluffs and wooded hills; more hills than I thought this part of Missouri possessed. In L&C's time there were frequent wildfires that kept the brushy growth under the trees low so the forested areas looked more like parks and the lowlands held marshy reed beds.

There are roads that follow the river on both the north and the south sides so I tried them both. Not much river viewing there either. What I did find were narrow twisty hilly roads that are fun to drive. Having X to pull Scout made them truly fun. The roads were either along the edges of the floodplain or up on the bluffs next to the floodplain so there was lots of climbing up and then climbing down.

I drove through lots of little towns and stopped at any that had any kind of signage related to Lewis and Clark. They, L&C, passed through this area about the same time of year as I am here and they too were plagued by rain; theirs made the river dangerous at times. There were trapper-trader maps of the Missouri River all the way into Mandan territory in the Dakotas so they weren't exactly blazing a new trail. They were recording what they saw in a very formal and accurate way. This Expedition is directly responsible for a half million people pouring into the interior during the next 80 years.

Hermann is an ethnically German town settled when the government started selling land, I suppose to pay for the Louisiana Purchase. Part of their heritage are grape vines. They are the folk that grafted European grapes onto hardy MO stock and started the state's wine industry. While I didn't see tulips outside of Pella, I have seen a few grape vines in lots of yards well outside of Hermann. I also scored some pecan smoked bacon that is as worthy of another visit as my Iowa cheese stop.

Now I'm a few miles outside Jefferson City, the current capital of the state. Binder Park, kept by the city, is one of the nicest parks I have stayed in anywhere. Whoever developed it must have listened to real campers. Sites are nicely shaded and well-spaced. Its on a hillside so no single trailer is lined up with any other. Toilets are within comfortable walking distance and are clean. If this park is a showcase for the city, they did an excellent job. It was pure luck that I was able to get a spot here over Memorial Day weekend so I intend to relish each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment