Monday, May 27, 2013

an actual Sunday with Sun

There's a nature center with trails between Jefferson City proper and my campground. Why I decided to stop, I no longer remember. Its in the eighties and I have to pee in spite of sweating buckets. Really, buckets. I've heard that ladies glow rather than sweat, guess that verifies what I already know. First it slides down my forehead and then runs across the top of my eyebrow before dripping off the ear end. At least most of it does. Some decides to take a more direct route, sliding down my nose and taking my glasses with it. I suppose there could be humor in this – I fail to see it.

And I'm tired since I just spent a few hours wandering around the capital grounds, a museum inside and the capital building itself. The capital is impressive, Jefferson City itself is impressive. Its about the size of Mankato, MN, maybe 40,000 pop, and it must have a seamy side though I didn't find it. Start with the capital building. it looks like lots of such buildings, large-scale, pillars, statues, engraved words, big dome. This capital is on a bluff overlooking th Missouri River and its surrounded by large trees and parks. All the necessary associated building are also there, back behind the trees. 
i
inside, looking at the dome


Even though I went on Sunday, the building was open. The inside is really pretty, no guards, just one woman sitting by a small display of souvenirs, and a steady stream of people visiting the museum. One area was devoted to geology. Looking at one of the topographic color-coded maps in the exhibit, it was easy to see that the Missouri River follows the same path across this state as the Minnesota River does across its' state. Kind of a duh though I hadn't picked up on it until now.

Geology gave way to settlement. Again, I was struck by something I knew but hadn't registered. Lewis and Clark came through 1804-1806. Boone's Lick was settled in 1796, that's several years before the Louisiana Purchase. And there were enough settlers here for some pretty bloody fighting in the 1850s, that's only two generations after L&C surveyed the area.

I have told myself several times that I'm focusing on the Missouri River and Lewis and Clark, however its hard to isolate them when the effects of their expedition had such impact on the land. The museum section on settlement naturally led into one on Missouri and the Civil War. I remember from my school days that the war in Missouri had been particularly destructive though I didn't remember why. After visiting Athens, I thought the fighting there was an isolated incident. It was, in its part of Missouri, however it also reflects how much of the fighting went in this state. Missouri was occupied by the Union army mostly protecting supply lines so lots of the fighting happened in communities much like Athens or by guerrilla warfare.

So I went looking for the 'bad' side of town. Instead I found Prison Brews. The old state prison is located in Jefferson City so the theme makes sense. Booths have some bars above them, are pretty well enclosed from each other and carry cell numbers. The bar is separated from the eats with a pseudo cell wall. It is an older building and whoever planned the retro-fitting did a nice job. The beers I tried are worth a second visit. Again, they were a bit sweeter than my fav Minnesota brews however they were very good. The porter is one of the smoothest I've had. Guess the brewpub could explain some of my discomfort at the nature center.

No comments:

Post a Comment