Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April 27

Here it is approaching the end of April and I'm still south of the middle of SD. By this time in 1805, Lewis and Clark were back on the Missouri River nearing Montana. Maybe they had a warmer spring, or maybe if they were cold and wet it didn't matter where they were cold and wet.

So far, I've avoided some cold and most wet. Snow is likely in Bismarck today and heavy rains are predicted for Pierre so I'm staying put beside the Missouri where I seem to be avoiding most of the violent weather patterns.

Since Lewis & Clarke’s day the Mo has been tamed somewhat by a series of dams that both moderate the flooding and create power. The Gavin Dam, the lowest, is near Yankton, SD. and forms Lewis and Clark Lake. I visited there last year. Next is Ft Randall dam forming Lake Sharpe. I was there too, long enough to look and then I skipped up to Pierre. This year I stopped for a couple of days hoping to see bald eagles fishing below the dam. I did see a turkey vulture before leaving however it was very windy and the only eagle I saw was on my way there.

I've read moans about all the valuable river valley farming that was lost with the dams. For the guys lucky enough to have that land it must have been traumatic since from what I've seen there isn't much farmland in the state; lots of hay, grazing and cattle but hardly any crop farming.

The campground I'm in, along Lake Sharpe, is nicely laid out. There are two small loops, with electricity, and a boat landing tucked along the shore above the rip-rap stabilizing the bank. Overnight use fees are based on popularity and this one isn't very popular. If you don't fish and don't play in the water there isn't much to do. For my city grandkids it would be great, woods, water, rocks and an occasional wild animal. On the other hand, if you lived in SD it would pretty much be same old, same old. Pierre's population is about that of Hibbing MN. Even Rapid City, quite large for SD, has about the same population Wilmar, MN. So, stepping outside to woods and unfettered play could be relatively easy.

Why am I staying at a place with barely a phone signal, no fellow campers and too windy for a fire? There is also no trains, no semis, no planes, no sirens and no blasting radios. I was at a park, for nearly the same fee, with flush toilets, showers and wi-fi; it also had trains, planes, semis, sirens and a heavy bass neighbor. Yesterday a pair of white-tailed does slipped past in dusky dawn and later a flock of unknown ducks ( maybe northern shovelers) entertained me. The lake and surrounding hills change appearance with the time of day and sky cover. And I'm watching trees become fuzzy as leaves or flowers grow. In a couple more days, when the weather stabilizes a bit I'll move on. For now this is just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment