Friday, June 7, 2013

Northward


For the last few days I've been exploring the area around Council Bluffs, IA and Omaha, NE. There actually is a real council bluff that is no longer on the river while Council Bluffs is on the river. The real council bluff is where L&C finally made contact with Indian leaders. My exploring has led to some interesting information, for me.

In Omaha, besides reading interesting signage, getting very lost and sampling, of course, some local brews, I visited the Joslyn Art Museum. If ever you find yourself in Omaha, stop and take a look. A surprise discovery for me was recognizing that I like some modern art quite a bit. Also, I was able to recognize art by the same artist! (Not modern) Thank you, sis, for wandering through an art gallery with me last time we met and sharing your skills.
 

The last few L&C visitor centers have focused on the discovery part of the expedition's journey. I was surprised to read that raccoons were unknown before Lewis made record of them. No raccoon's out east?
A young one tried to join me in Scout. It woke me up several times climbing on this and that trying to get in. It even opened up the fitting around my electrical wire. Two nights of it was enough so I moved on to a much busier campground where dogs woke me up instead. At least they weren't trying to get inside.

Several of Clark's August entries mention annoying mosquitoes. I haven't had those little buggers yet though I have had ticks about the size of pin heads trying to hitch a free ride.

All the stuff I read about L&C before leaving and all the stuff I've along the way talk about the trip as one of exploration and discovery. Heck, Jefferson even called it the Corps of Discovery. So, I have been exceedingly interested in little bits here and there that tell a somewhat different story. L&C had maps of the Missouri River they acquired from traders already here. They probably had maps that went all the way through Montana so they weren't heading off into unknown territory. I guess what makes that interesting to me is my shift in focus. These guys are not an army version of Danial Boone, they are recorders and appraisers, out to get a feel for what the country is worth and size up the Indians for strength and potential attitude. ( One Indian leader is reported to have said the British keep their word and Americans break theirs.) Suddenly, those thousands of settlers immediately pouring west make sense.

And I now understand Fort Atkinson much better than I did when I visited it. Ft Atkinson is located at another spot Clark marked as a good defensive position. It sits on THE council bluff and was the meeting place of many councils involving Indians. Most of the fort's history belongs to a different story so I imagine I'll be visiting it a different time.

Now I'm in yet another Lewis and Clark park, this one in Iowa. There is a L&C reenactment going on this weekend, a fortuitous coincidence. There is also supposed to be life-threatening storms tomorrow. In either case, I guess there's going to be a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment